Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bad Weather...

Well, we had a very interesting day yesterday. Nanchang was hit with hail and snow. It's an extremely rare occurrence here so the city is a little bit in turmoil. Our guide took us to a museum. The walk from the van to the museum entrance was like ice skating. I still can't believe not one of us fell. Maya was not happy at all being pelted with ice so she was screaming and thrashing in John's arms. Kudos to John that he made it to the van without slipping with our little firecracker. Stupid me was wearing ballet flats. Thankfully Jenny took us to a shopping center afterward to buy boots! Maya started looking at the kids shoes and ran up to John and I with these bright green boot type shoes. She hopped up on the seat and started taking off her favorite sparkle tennis shoes to try on the green ones. Of course we bought them for her, it's probably the first time she got to pick out new shoes for herself! She was so proud of her new shoes and walked around showing everyone afterward. The best part was that they were only $7! We can't get over how inexpensive everything is over here. The mom we're traveling with told me the shopping is great in Guangzhou so I'm getting excited. Maya will probably pick out 10 pairs of shoes! At lunch we discovered Maya loves hard boiled eggs. They put 2 of them whole in a soup we ordered. Jenny fed them to her with chopsticks and she was one happy camper. I'm going to have to tell Grandma to make her some at home so she can have them Christmas Day! After getting back to the hotel, Maya and I took a nap. While we were napping John decided to video tape the snow outside the hotel. It's nothing like a Michigan winter but we definitely weren't expecting it here. The day we arrived it was 70 and sunny! At dinner Maya got a little silly and hopped off my lap (yep, she still won't sit in a high chair) and ended up bumping her head on a decorative wall in the restaurant. She now has a little bump on her head that she keeps wanting me to put diaper rash ointment on. Yes you heard me right. She thinks because I put it on her bottom it's some magical cream that should be put on all "ouchies"! At one point she was holding the tube while I ran turned my back to put something away. I looked over her and she had gotten the cap off the ointment and rubbed the white cream all over her forehead. She just looked at me and gave me a huge smile. How could I not crack up?! We're not sure if we'll be able to go anywhere today because the temperature dropped significantly over night and the high today is only supposed to be 31! Our driver is worried the roads will be completely iced over. This should be interesting keeping Maya entertained in a hotel all day. I guess we'll be running the hallways together!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you guys are making the best of it. I told to go with the flow and it sounds like you guys are doing just that. :) Funny about the ice and snow. Another great story you guys will have for Maya.

    So where are the new pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been bugging my parents about new pictures all week :) They are having some trouble downloading them. They said the internet is really slow in Nanchang and they are hoping it will be faster in Guangzhou.

    -Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update Madeline. The internet is very slow in China. :) It is a little bit better in Guangzhou -- at times -- but not much. :)

    ReplyDelete