Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Maya

The past couple days have been nonstop action.  Even in our down time we seem to keep busy.  We went to a park with the Roberts Family.  Maya LOVED playing on the play structures.  She was a little leery at first but once she watched all the other kids, she went full out.  She loves going down the slides.  What we get a kick out of is watching her interact with other Chinese children.  She talks to them and tries to tell them where to go and what to do.  I guess we know who ruled the roost at the orphanage.  It was nice to see her run around and get dirty like kids should do when they go to a park.  Leaving the park was a little traumatic for her (what isn't when you're 2 and want your way?) but we got through it.  We've done some shopping and a little exploring.  John and I have gotten to know some of the shop keepers.  It's funny when we walk by and they say, "Hi Maya!"  I woke up yesterday with what John refers to as "Buddha's Revenge"!  The stomach bug has hit a lot of people on this trip and I thought maybe I was going to get lucky and skate through this place....Not so!!!  I hardly ate a thing yesterday and just kept drinking water with vitamin supplements.  Thank goodness we brought Cipro with us (an antibiotic made just for this lovely condition).  Maya has proved to be VERY strong willed.  When she has a temper tantrum, look out.  They last 45 minutes and you just need to ride the storm.  The funny thing is as soon as she's done, she'll look up at you and give you a huge smile.  Today was the big day for the group photo on the infamous red couch at our hotel.  I put Maya in her silk Chinese dress (that she picked out thank you) and once it was buttoned up all the way to her neck she decided she hated the dress!  So, I put her in a regular dress and we went to the meeting area.  Put it this way, when you see the group photo she is perched on the back of the couch with me holding her up (hiding below).  We got a few shots in and that was it.  We went to the US. Consulate this afternoon to have our oath-taking ceremony (yes I got teary eyed) and to sign off on the vaccine waiver (gladly) in the presence of a public notary.  We will receive Maya's visa tomorrow and be on our way Friday morning!!!  Whoo Hoo!  Heading home from the consulate was a bit stressful.  It was at Maya's nap time and guess who had a melt down the ENTIRE trip home (30 minutes)?  I had to hold her while she thrashed and screamed.  All I can say is thank god for the wonderful people we are traveling with who are so kind and sympathetic.  Maya of course fell asleep 5 minutes before we arrived at the hotel.  We're exhausted and ready to go home.  It's been a long journey but wow....China really is an amazing place.  I truly hope Maya will be proud of the country she comes from.  It's beautiful and the people are so kind.  Needless to say, I miss my kids, my dog and my house!  And of course my wonderful friends and family!  

1 comment:

  1. Maya sound great. I know two little girls are going to love playing with her! :)

    You guys are almost ready to come home now. Sorry to hear you got sick too. Better now than on the plane trip home.

    ReplyDelete