Saturday, December 11, 2010

Exploring Nanchang

John & I decided to explore the area around our hotel a little bit.  Wow!  What a culture shock!  You see people dressed up then you look down an alley and see others doing their laundry in pots.  The people are very nice and very intrigued with John and me.  My blonde hair attracts more attention than you can imagine.   I'm surely not the first blonde person to visit China, but because my hair is so blonde, it really throws them for a loop.  Teenage boys keep yelling out to me...I don't even want to know what they're saying.  Little kids are the funniest.  Their eyes bug out when they see me and their mouths are almost on the ground.  Most of the time they grab their mom or dad's hand and point to me.  We went to lunch and they sat us in front of a window.  All of the sudden, you see tons of people coming to the window to look at my hair and take photos.  John thinks it's funny being with "Jennifer Aniston" in China.  A lot of little girls love to run up to John and I and say, "HELLO!" in their best English.  We always laugh then they laugh and follow us for a bit.  The sights are magnificent.  We went to a tower/temple area and were amazed by everything.  I wish we could read Chinese because we had no idea what we were looking at.  At one point we went inside a Buddhist Temple and the men in there had us write our names on some red square plague.  We then made a donation and a man gave us some wood beads.  We learned quickly that it's easiest to communicate by playing charades.  We also went into a grocery store.  It was hilarious.  We had no idea half the time what we were buying.  Prices are good though.  We walked out of a grocery store with 3 full bags and spent about $13!  We'll be getting Maya soon.  We're both excited and nervous.  We have no idea how she is going to react.  I'm thinking if she's like the rest of the kids who saw me in the streets, she's going to be shocked!  

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to wake up in the morning to see pictures of Maya!!!! Remember to BREATHE!!! Maya's going to love you -- after all you are her mama.

    Big hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete