Wednesday, December 29, 2010

HOME!

Sorry I’ve taken almost a week off of updating our blog.  As you can imagine, we had a whirlwind travel adventure getting Maya home.  We spent our last day in Guangzhou taking it easy and packing up all our loot!  Our flight left Guangzhou for Korea right on time.  Maya was a little rambunctious but we figured better that flight than the really long one.  We had time to kill in Korea so we went to the Asiana Airlines club and relaxed for a while.  Everyone got a kick of out Maya.  Just before we boarded our flight for Chicago, Maya crashed out.  She slept through the take off and for the next 30 minutes.  There was too much commotion for her to sleep that long.  We had dinner and got her in her pajamas before they dimmed the lights.  She ended up sitting in John’s lap and watched Toy Story 3.  I think it was her first movie ever!  She looked so cute pointing at all the characters.  She finally laid with me in my seat and fell asleep.  I moved seats and Maya slept pretty much for the rest of the flight.  She woke up about 1 hour before we landed in Chicago.  She was the bell of the ball on our flight.  All the flight attendants loved her.  I woke up at one point during the flight and 3 of them were hovering over her tucking pillows around her and watching her sleep.  As we were walking off the plane, a Korean businessman said to us, “I didn’t even know there was a baby on this flight!  She’s so good!”  John and I just looked at each other and laughed.  It’s a good thing he didn’t see her at the Nanchang airport a week before!  By the time we got through customs in Chicago and got Maya’s paperwork situated, John and I were whipped.  Not Maya!  She was ready to roll.  Our flight took off a little late from Chicago but we finally were on the last leg of our long journey.  Maya made some new friends with the people sitting behind us on the flight.  When I told them we just adopted her from China, the rest of the people around us perked up and started asking us all sorts of questions.  Once we landed, I couldn’t get off that plane fast enough.  I was beyond excited to see Madeline & William.  Of course, true to Kris, I immediately started crying when I saw them and got them in my arms.  2 weeks is far too long to be away from your children!  Maya didn’t know what the heck was going on and she wasn’t too happy when she saw me kissing and hugging 2 other kids.  My mom, mother-in-law and father-in-law were all there to greet us.  Maya wanted nothing to do with anyone and didn’t like anyone else to touch our bags.  Once we got her in her car seat I knew we’d be in for a long crying session.  She probably cried for about 30 minutes then crashed out.  Madeline & Will were fully prepared for her crying so they took it in stride.  When we got home, Maya woke up and we gave her the grand tour of her new home.  Lola scared her a bit but thankfully, the dog pretty much kept her distance.  The kids played with Maya and we handed out their gifts from China.  We finally all crashed out at 1:30 AM.  Needless to say, it was one bizarre Christmas Eve. 

Getting back on track with Detroit time has been a challenge, but we’re managing.  Maya is adapting well and loves her house.  When you see her cruising around on her princess scooter, you would think she’s always lived here.  She’s getting more comfortable with Lola every day.  She even is starting to put her face up to Lola’s to get a kiss.  The kids play with her nonstop, which is going to be hard for Maya and I when they go back to school.  She’s finally gotten used to her car seat and actually likes sitting in it.  Now if I can just get her to sit in a stroller and shopping cart!  We took her on her first Target shopping trip.  I had to hold her the entire time.  Thankfully I had Madeline and her friend Jade with me to help out.  Maya was so excited to pick out the Toy Story 3 DVD and some snacks!  I was happy to just shop in a normal store after being in China for so long.  We love our newest addition and can’t wait to see her blossom even more.  Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers while we were in China.  I will do some more updates as time goes on.  Happy New Year everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment